The New Jersey Division of Developmental Disabilities
What Are DDD Services?
The NJ Division of Developmental Disabilities provides public funding for services and supports that assist adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (age 21+) to live as independently as possible. Services and supports are available in the community from independent service providers.
Eligibility for DDD Services
In order to receive services funded through the NJ Department of Human Services’ Division of Developmental Disabilities, an individual must be determined eligible for Medicaid and determined eligible to receive Division services.
To be eligible to receive DDD-funded services, an individual must meet the functional criteria of having a developmental disability. In general, individuals must document that they have a chronic physical and/or intellectual disability:
- That manifests in the developmental years before age 22
- Is lifelong in nature
- And substantially limits the individual in at least three of these areas of life activity: self-care, learning, mobility, communication, self-direction, economic self-sufficiency, and the ability to live independently
To receive DDD services an individual must:
- Apply and become eligible for Medicaid, and must continue to maintain Medicaid eligibility
- Submit the DDD Intake Application and be determined to meet the functional criteria for DDD eligibility
- Establish that New Jersey is her or his primary residence at the time of application
At 18 years of age, individuals may apply for eligibility. At 21 years of age, eligible individuals may receive Division services.
Applying for DDD Services
Application Packets are available in English and Spanish on the The NJ Department of Human Services website under Division of Developmental Disabilities. Instructions on how to submit the application packet is written on the packet instructions.
The application is quite long and will require many attachments such as ID documents, proof of address, and medical records. Applications are not completed and submitted quickly as they require many details. For assistance in completing the application, please contact the numbers indicated in the application instructions.